Are any of you taking President Hinckley's challenge to read the Book of Mormon this year? If so, what are you doing to keep your family motivated?
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Contributors
Previous Posts
- FYI Jordyn had surgery on her mouth last week.
- How much is gasoline where you live?
- Look who got ahold of her sister's finger paints!
- What home improvements are on your TO DO list?
- What home improvements have you made to a previous...
- What home improvements have you made to your curre...
- Spotted in northern Florida.....
- What email groups or lists do you belong to? (I me...
- Summer time fun...
- What is everyone in your house doing RIGHT NOW?

10 Comments:
We are trying. We are off and on on are success so far but we ar trying to read mornin and night to break it up a bit. And we read from our B of M for LDS Families that has simplified definitions at the bottom of the regular text. We also let Chloe and Carter look at the BofM reader with pics while we read and when we are not pushed for time we all take turns reading including Carter and Chloe.
9:06 AM
HOw are ya'll doing on it?
9:06 AM
Scripture reading has always been one of our weak points, but we are determined to do it this time. We are trying to teach our kids that if the prophet says to do it, we do it.
Our biggest problem is remembering to read every day. So, we made a chart that we put on our fridge. It says "I Love to Read the Scriptures" at the top, and then just has 30 squares covering the rest of the page. Each day that we read, someone puts a sticker in a square. When they are all filled, we will give ourselves a reward. It has worked pretty good to give us a visual reminder to read. We also made everyone special bookmarks that I found online. You color in a square for each chapter that you read.
We use the B of M for LDS Families, too. It is really helpful. We have everyone follow along in their own scriptures so they will stay focused. I hadn't thought to use our B of M reader with Chandler, but I think I will. We also mark Scripture Mastery verses when we come to them.
6:26 AM
This is quite a challenge for us still having younger kids considering the week after the challenge we finished the Book of Mormon as a family for the first time. We started when Austen was about 2 1/2 or 3 years old. With a few smaller and larger breaks. We were not so good on vacations and considering 8 weeks last summer. Often we didn't even read a whole page or chapter. So we are giving it a good try. With the same idea of following the Prophet and the promises that come by doing it.
11:31 AM
Is anyone trying as
personal scripture study and is anyone on track to finish by the New Year.
Austen informed us tonite that we should be much further ahead than we are.
8:29 PM
One thing that works well for us is reading during dinner. The kids may not be following along in their scriptures, but they are listening to us when we read.
6:52 AM
I know some people use the scriptures on CD. They say it goes much faster, and everyone can follow along in their own scriptures.
1:21 PM
We have been using the scriptures on CD. We downloaded a free copy from ldsaudio.com I just checked and it is still free to download it. Here is a link
http://www.ldsaudio.com/shop/audio_item.aspx?id=11
Enjoy! It does make it go by faster and for me it makes it more interesting, I like the way the narrator reads it.
3:03 PM
I am trying to get the freebie from ldsaudio. Do you have to enter your credit card number to get it, even though it's free?
6:46 AM
I think you may have to, but I don't remember for sure of I did.
10:56 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home